Use these anchors to navigate to the section of information that you desire.
Hello Prospective Candidate!
Elections are here and this is your chance to become a leader in our community! I am excited that you are considering running for a position in student government here at CSULB. I encourage you to review all of the resources within this page. Pay special attention to the handbook, calendar, and checklist.
As a member of ASI Student Government, you will be able to use your voice to represent students. Our students matter, so we are looking for dedicated leaders to advocate for student needs and uphold important responsibilities. You will be able to spearhead the change you would like to see on our campus. Leave your legacy by becoming an ASI officer, serving on various committees, and providing your input to positively affect current and future students. There is a lot of work to be done, so please thoughtfully consider the time commitment.
Once you have submitted a completed application with all the required documentation, the Office of the Dean of Students will verify whether you meet academic eligibility qualifications and that you are not on academic, disciplinary or administrative probation (reference: 2020-2021 CSULB Campus REGS, Regulation II in www.csulb.edu/regs). You will then be notified by the ASI Assistant Director of Government Affairs & Initiatives about your eligibility status and the next steps regarding your candidacy. You are not permitted to campaign until March 1st.
We strongly encourage you to attend a board meeting that you are interested in serving on and to do your research on the position you are seeking. I look forward to working with you throughout this election period! If you have any questions, I can be reached at email@example.com.
Best of Luck!
ASI Government Elections Officer
Interested in running for a 2021 Student Government office? Here are a few steps to apply:
Referendum on ASI Bylaws.
The Associated Students Board of Directors/Senate has requested that Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) conduct a referendum for proposed bylaw amendments to Chapter I of the ASI Bylaws. The ASI Bylaw amendments referendum will be conducted as part of the online ASI general election on Monday, March 15 through Wednesday, March 17, 2021.
On December 9, 2020 the Associated Students Board of Directors/Senate approved Senate Resolution #2021-05 Bylaw Amendments to Chapter I of the ASI Bylaws. The Associated Students Senate serves as the Board of Directors for the corporation, and implements its authority as the legislative branch ensuring effective oversight and consistency within its operations, and representing the LBSU student body. Chapter I of the ASI Bylaws states the Senate is to, "Perform any and all duties imposed on them collectively or individually by the Senate, by law, by the Articles of Incorporation for the Associated Students, California State University, Long Beach, or by these bylaws." These duties include changing the bylaws to ensure that it accurately reflects current contemporary practices and addresses improvements for greater efficiency while safeguarding the ASI mission.
As a result of the approved Senate resolution, the Board of Directors/Senate is proposing the following amendments to Chapter I of the ASI Bylaws:
- Gender-neutral terminology approved by Senate Resolution #2017-34 shall be reflective throughout the entire ASI Bylaws.
- The following officer position titles and the Board of Control shall be updated
to clarify their roles and responsibilities to avoid confusion
- Chief Executive Officer shall be updated to President
- Vice President shall be updated to Executive Vice President
- Treasurer shall be updated to Vice President of Finance
- Attorney General and Public Defender shall be removed as those roles no longer exist
- Board of Control shall be updated to Business and Finance Committee
- A Senate representative shall no longer be elected to the Campus Planning Committee as the committee is no longer active.
- Judiciary shall no longer be required to notify Senate in writing of any changes to their working rules as the Senate accepts the Judiciary minutes where any changes would be noted.
- Judiciary no longer requires a petition signed by 5% of the student body nor a Senate ruling if they fail to carry out their duties and responsibilities as a Justice to process their removal internally.
- The Chief Justice shall be able to form the Ethics Compliance Committee to proceed with disciplinary action among Judiciary members.
- The University Student Union Board of Trustees representatives will serve a maximum term of one year ending on May 31.
- The process of proposing and adopting a bylaw amendment to Chapter I shall no longer require a 60% favorable vote in the ASI general election to expedite the process to amend and update Chapter I of the ASI Bylaws.
If approved, the amendments to the bylaws would go into effect and be reflected in the 2021-2022 ASI Bylaws.
By voting YES, you are agreeing to all of the proposed bylaw amendments; updating the ASI Bylaws.
By voting NO, you are rejecting all of the proposed bylaw amendments; leaving the ASI Bylaws as is.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
ASI BYLAW AMENDMENTS REFERENDUM
SHOULD THE PROPOSED BYLAW AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER I OF THE ASI BYLAWS BE APPROVED? CHANGES TO THE ASI BYLAWS WOULD NOT GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL 2021-2022.
YES I VOTE FOR THE PROPOSED BYLAW AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER I OF THE ASI BYLAWS.
NO I VOTE AGAINST THE PROPOSED BYLAW AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER I OF THE ASI BYLAWS.
END OF BALLOT
- Bylaws 2020-2021 Chapter 1
- Senate Resolution #2021-05 Bylaw Amendments to Chapter 1 of the ASI Bylaws
To see how the proposed bylaw amendments would impact the ASI Bylaws review the document entitled Bylaws 2020-2021 Chapter 1. The highlighted sections reflect the proposed changes.
Calendar Spring 2021
|Filing Opens Online
(Jan. 20-Feb. 4)
|It Takes One Student Panel||Zoom
Meeting Id:870 3479 3776 Password:21ASIELECT
|Student Government Panel||Zoom
Meeting Id:815 5940 3788 Password:21ASIELECT
|Elections Informational Session||Zoom
Meeting Id:856 0413 0087 Password:21ASIELECT
|Elections Informational Session||Zoom
Meeting Id:871 3919 2865 Password:21ASIELECT
|Elections Informational Session||Zoom
Meeting Id:884 8264 0754 Password:21ASIELECT
|Filing Re-Opens for Unfilled Positions Online*||BeachSync||9AM|
|Filing for Unfilled Positions Closes*||BeachSync||4PM|
|Campaigning Begins for General Elections||Online|
|Meet the Candidates||Zoom
Meeting Id:851 9177 4869 Password:21ASIELECT
|Presidential Candidates Debate||Zoom
Meeting Id:843 7731 5915 Password:21ASIELECT
|March 15-17||Online Elections||Online||12:00AM-11:59PM|
|Elections Results Reveal||ASI Instagram Live||12PM|
|March 22-24||Campaigning for Run-Off Elections
|March 22-24||Online Run-Off Elections
|Election Run-Off Results Announced
*Unfilled Positions: those positions that do not have a minimum number of applicants. All other positions are closed.
**Candidates Meeting: Candidates MUST attend one out of the two meetings to be able to be recognized as an official candidate and campaign. No attendance = automatic disqualification.
Docs & Forms
The documents and forms listed below are intended to be a resource for candidates, campaign workers and the student body at large throughout the ASI election process.
- $750 for candidates for executive offices
- $500 for candidates for other university-wide positions
- $250 for candidates for other college-level positions
- Access your CSULB student email account and locate the email from “Associated Students, Inc.” with the Subject Line “2021 ASI Election”
- Open and read the email Click on the link that says “CLICK HERE”
- If the link doesn’t work, go to URL address provided in the email and enter your username and password, also provided in the email.
- Read the Welcome Page and click on the “PROCEED” button.
- Start voting! Just click on the box next to the candidates or responses of your choice, and then click “Submit Vote.” ONCE YOU CLICK ON “SUBMIT VOTE,” YOUR VOTE IS RECORDED AND CANNOT BE CHANGED
- If you don’t want to vote in a particular race, click on “Skip this Poll”
- If you want to vote in a race that you previously skipped, locate the poll you skipped, then cast your vote.
- At the end of your voting session, you will be taken to an exit page. Here you will have an opportunity to leave a comment. We encourage you to provide us with your honest feedback.
- To exit the elections, click on the “Sign Out” link at the top of the page or simply close your web browser. Make sure you’ve completed the ballot before exiting.
- If you did not receive the email, or are having trouble online, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, student ID# and a brief description of the issue. Someone will contact you to help resolve the issue.