What is Compost Happens?
“Compost Happens" is the educational campaign created by Sustain U to support the University Student Union’s (USU) composting program. The program was implemented after Sustain U's waste audit conducted in 2012. The audit identified that 50% of waste going to the landfill from the USU was food waste and biodegradable material, which could be diverted through composting. The campaign began on Earth Day, 2014, and has since diverted thousands of pounds of waste from landfills, reducing tons of carbon waste and overall greenhouse gas emissions as a result. Campaign awareness is brought to the CSULB community through Sustain U members and volunteer “Trash Talkers,” who promote and educate the campus community on the compost program throughout the USU.
If you or a group of people are interested in being trained in proper waste disposal let us know and we can set up a training.
We also hold weekly Trash Talker tablings from 10AM-12PM either on the West Patio (USU 2nd floor by the escalators) or Southwest Terrace.
- Wednesday the 2nd on the West Patio
- Wednesday the 9th on the West Patio
- Wednesday the 16th on the West Patio
- Tuesday the 22nd on the Southwest Terrace
- Wednesday the 30th on the West Patio
- Tuesday the 5th on the Southwest Terrace
- Wednesday the 13th on the West Patio
- Tuesday the 19th on the Southwest Terrace
- Tuesday the 26th on the West Patio
- Wednesday the 4th on the West Patio
Trash Talker Goals
- Engage students in the USU in conversation about waste diversion
- Inform students about composting and its benefits
- Explain how to sort waste properly into the 4 stream bin system in the USU
All Trash talkers will have a change to win a FREE “Compost Happens” T-shirt
Be a Part of the Team
Or attend one of our bi-weekly meetings every other Monday from 1pm to 2pm. Location: USU-204
- Monday the 7th
- Monday the 21st
- Monday the 4th
- Monday the 18th
- Monday the 2nd