Written by Mitali Jain, ASI Vice President of Finance
Published: Thursday, 29 September 2022
When you thought of college, what did you picture your life to look like? Did you see yourself travelling around the world while becoming the next TED Talk agent? Maybe you envisioned your time at school researching for a new cure? Or perhaps you wanted to lead others with a club on campus that serves the community around you? Whether you wanted to travel, complete research, or wanted to start up an organization on campus, you need money. But let’s face it, applying for any financial applications can be super overwhelming, taxing, and hard to sift through. Well, I’m here to make your life easier!
My name is Mitali Jain, and I am your ASI Vice President of Finance for this year. As your ASI Vice President of Finance, I am dedicated to both informing you and making it easier to access all the financial resources we give our students. Here at ASI, we offer three types of grants that provide extra financial support for students and organizations in the production of events, research, and professional development that benefit the student body!
Are you interested yet? Don’t know where or how to start? No worries, we’ve got you covered! Here is a cheat sheet to help you better understand ASI’s grant application process:
Student Organization Program Grants
- In order to receive funding, the organization already must have fundraised 30% of the total program cost.
- Max funding for events, or any adjustments for previous events, is $3000
- This grant can be used to pay for: advertising, printed materials, program supplies, refreshments, equipment rental, campus facility rental, and contracts.
- This grant will not be used to pay for: scholarships/awards, copyright infringement, office maintenance, transportation, lodging, conference registration fees that exceed $75/person, tips and gratuities, banquets/luncheons, community relations activities, faculty/staff compensation, ex post facto contracts, gift cards, raffle items, and personal property.
- Events must be held on campus to be eligible for funding
- ASI funded events with 200 or more people attending should have qualified interpreters and/or real-time captioners available for Deaf or Hard of Hearing attendees.
- All advertising for a program funded by an ASI grant must include the ASI logo with the phrase “funded in part by the Associated Students, Incorporated.” In cases of broadcast, announcements must state, “this program is funded in part by the Associated Students, Incorporated.”
- All grants expire on June 30 of the fiscal year. If approved for a grant, all reimbursement receipts must be submitted before this date.
Student Research Fund Grant Application
- Limited to a maximum of one award per semester
- Max funding for thesis or dissertation is $500. Costs related to any submissions for publication of a student’s thesis or dissertation are NOT eligible for funding under this program.
- Max funding for student research is $800.
- This grant will fund most materials and supplies that are required for student research such as books, software, small equipment, the cost of data collection, and more.
- All information needed to complete an application: section 6.0
Student Travel Fund Grant Application
- 1 per semester for a student.
- $500 max for travel in the Continental United States
- $600 max for travel to Alaska, Hawaii or International.
- If approved, lodging is only provided to people presenting at the conference.
- Max funding for a group (2 or more) presenting at a conference is $1200.
- Max funding for a group (2 or more) who are only attending a conference will be eligible for a conference fee reimbursement of up to $600.
- All information needed to complete an application: section 4.0
- All funds expire on June 30 of the fiscal year. If approved for a grant, all reimbursement receipts must be submitted before this date.
I hope that this cheat sheet offered you all the information you need to get started! For those who wish to apply, visit asicsulb.org/grants.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me, your Vice President of Finance, or your Director of Finance, Idris Ayden, for questions or more information!