ASI’s Declassified School Survival Guide
Published: Saturday, 9 September 2023
Written by Ciara Evans (She/Her), Communications Student Assistant
As the fall semester unfolds, Long Beach State University (LBSU) is buzzing with activity. And whether you’re a newcomer or a seasoned vet, this is the perfect time to really make The Beach your home-away-from-home. And at The Beach, our LBSU family, ASI is considered the heart and soul of our community – which is why you should definitely become familiar with the best part of campus! So welcome to your survival guide to navigating the ins and outs of campus, ASI and your Beach family:
- Campus Layout: With over 38,000 students distributed over a 322-acre campus, LBSU is pretty big – but that also means it can be confusing and inconvenient to get around! Luckily, navigating campus becomes convenient with the LBSU digital maps and Ride Systems App shuttles that run daily to get you straight from one side of campus to the other.
Resources: As an LBSU student, you automatically get FREE
resources available to you at your fingertips. Familiarize
yourself with resources such as the:
- University Writing Center for a variety of tutoring services and workshops to strengthen your writing skills.
- The Learning Center for individual one-on-one tutoring appointments for a plethora of subjects such as math, biology, nursing and more!
- Career Development Center for those who are interested in kick-starting their career with workshops, interviewing/resume techniques and even an assortment of internships and jobs you can apply to!
- Women’s & Gender Equity Center (WGEC) a safe place for our Beach family to freely be themselves with resources, tools and events that make space for expression and belonging.
- What is ASI?: Associated Students Inc.,(ASI) is your go-to source for enhancing your college experience while at LBSU! ASI, created by and for students, serves as the official Student Government on campus, providing students with free essential services, support, facilities and a community that fosters intellectual, social and physical development.
ASI Facilities:ASI operates several facilities tailored to
enhancing students’ college experience such as the:
- Student Wellness & Recreation Center: The Student Recreation & Wellness Center (SRWC) is LBSU’s on-campus rec center that strives to increase ALL members’ physical, mental and social wellness through personal training, group exercise classes and fun events that will change the way you look at fitness.
- University Student Union: The University Student Union (USU) is the heart and soul of LBSU located in the middle of campus offering hundreds of services and resources such as the Games Center, Food Court and Student Government!
- Isabel Patterson Child Development Center: The Isabel Patterson Child Development Center (IPCDC) is one of the most valuable facilities ASI operates. The IPCDC serves as a childcare center on campus, enabling student-parents the opportunity to attend classes with the confidence their children are given quality child developmental services that facilitate growth, learning and creativity.
ASI Programs and Services:
- Beach Pride Events: Beach Pride Events (BPE) is the event and entertainment programming arm of ASI that is in charge of quality programs throughout each semester. From Smorgasport to Big Event, BPE is definitely one of the highlights of your LBSU experience!
- Sustain U: Sustain U is dedicated to making LBSU a more sustainable place for all students, staff, faculty and surrounding community! From workshops and events to our very own Grow Beach garden, Sustain U is charged with the mission to implementing beneficial and lasting changes to the environment that align with LBSU’s ever-changing needs.
- Beach Pantry: The Beach Pantry is the official food pantry for LBSU that provides non-perishable food items for all students in need. From offering daily services to cooking classes at ASI’s Beach Kitchen, the Beach Pantry has it all!
- Beach Balance: Beach Balance has a holistic approach to health and wellness by empowering all students to make healthy lifestyle choices. Beach Balance offers a variety of services such as massage therapy, nutrition counseling, weekly events and so much more!
- Volunteer: Are you looking to get involved with ASI? Here at ASI we offer a plethora of career development, volunteer and job opportunities! Whether you’re volunteering with Sustain U or applying to work with ASI Communications, you have a place at ASI! Check out asicsulb.org/involve.
- Student Feedback: If you didn’t know, ASI is updating our USU building and WE NEED YOUR HELP! As a student, you have the most vital voice in making our project happen. You know the ins and outs of the USU, the pros and cons and especially the ways we need to change and update our building. This is the perfect opportunity to share your voice – from wanting better seating to installing napping pods, you can help make tomorrow, today! To add your voice, visit asicsulb.org/futureu.