Published: Tuesday, 12 May 2020
Are you looking for a way to brighten your day and clear your mind? Well then, you’ve come to the right place. It sounds like starting a mindfulness practice would be perfect for you!
“Mindfulness benefits our lives tenfold because it gives us the practice of awareness and we develop the ability to see the world more clearly,” said Student Recreation and Wellness Center’s Yoga and Meditation instructor, Jennie Shin.
Unlock your best self by Checking out Shin’s simple mindfulness tips below to begin your practice!
Be patient with yourself and the process
- Creating a calm Mindspace is a journey in itself
- Take time to know “why” you’re experiencing feelings
- Understand that living in the moment takes time
- Realize that self-judgement is normal but temporary
Do Some Research!
- “The Artist’s Way” is a novel teaching you how-to create a more fulfilled life.
- “The Superhuman World or Wim Hof: The Iceman” is a documentary helping you learn how to accomplish the impossible by training your mind.
Find A Form of Mindfulness that Resonates with you
- Yoga: A movement and stretching based relaxation technique.
- Mediation: A habitual process of redirecting your thoughts.
- Walking Meditation: A method of walking and focusing on the present moment.
- Breathing Exercises: A way to center your mind and body and reduce anxiety.
- Writing: A form of self-reflection and gratitude that alleviates stress and anger.
- Asking Grounding Questions: A Q & A technique identifying emotional triggers.
Mindfulness Exercise Examples
- Try inhaling to the count of 3 and exhaling to the count of three
- Practice waking up each morning and writing your thoughts down in a journal
- Ask yourself, “How am I feeling right now?” and “Why do I feel this way?”
“The biggest thing I’m getting out of self-isolation is self-reflection," said Shin. "These practices help to see yourself more objectively and address blockages from a conscious point rather than just moving through them."
Try your hand at mindfulness today by using some of Jennie’s health and wellness tips above!